Donor Advised Fund
Harness the Giving Power of a Private Foundation
A donor advised fund, which is like a charitable savings account, gives you the flexibility to recommend how much and how often money is granted to Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties and other charities.
You transfer cash or other assets to a tax-exempt sponsoring organization such as a public foundation. You can then recommend—but not direct—how much and how often money is granted. In addition, you avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation.
In return, you receive an immediate federal income tax charitable deduction at the time you contribute to the account. This also allows for a centralized giving and record-keeping system in one location.
An Example of How It Works
Joe and Laura want to give back to their hometown by putting their money where it will do the most good. They establish a $25,000 donor advised fund with a community foundation.
The couple receives a federal income tax charitable deduction for the amount of the gift. They also get all the time they need to decide which charities to support.
After researching community needs with the foundation’s staff, Joe and Laura recommend grants for Second Harvest Food Bank (which they've supported for years) and the Animal Rescue League. The foundation presents the charities with checks from the Megan Fund, which Joe and Laura named in honor of their daughter. Joe and Laura are delighted to start this personal legacy of giving.
Not Sure How to Begin Planning?Download My FREE Personal Estate Planning Kit
- Evaluate a sponsoring organization to make sure it supports your interests, values and the type of asset you are considering as a funding source.
- Get to know the organization's policies and procedures-from minimum contributions to administrative fees. Each organization handles these details differently.
- Contact Donor Relations Team at (866) 234-3663 or email@example.com to discuss using donor advised funds to support Second Harvest Food Bank and our mission.
- Seek the advice of your financial or legal advisor.
- If you include Second Harvest Food Bank in your plans, please use our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
Address: 750 Curtner Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125
Federal Tax ID Number: 94-2614101
Support What Matters
Learn more about donor advised funds. View and download the FREE guide One-Stop Giving: The Convenience and Simplicity of Donor Advised Funds.View My Guide